Gumpoldskirchen ist renowned throghout the world for its excellent wines.
It is a situated just to the soth of Vienna on the slopes of Mt. Anninger (674 metres - 2022 ft), 250 metres - 750 ft above sea level and has a population of some 3000.
Numerous small finds, especially of the Hallstatt period (8th to 5th century B.C.) give evidence of settlements here in
This markettown is mentioned for the firdt time in a document of 1140, but there is no doubt that it had been founded much earlier.
During the Middle Ages Gumpoldskirchen experienced an aconomic boom.
The commercial relations of our winegrowers extended as far as Bavaria.
The Turkish invasion of 1529 made an end to the favourable development, soon after that however the community attained prosperity again.
The magnificent Renaissancehöfe (manors with courtyards) and the splendid townhall date back to 1550, pride of Gumpoldskirchen to this day.
People were confronted with poor prospects in the 17th century, a disadvantageous fiscal policy, a series of military
and the terrible raid by the Turks in 1683, caused heavy damages to the local winegrowing, from which it did not recover for a long time.
Things gradually grew better in the 19th century.
A number of competent man were able to high international credit for the wine of Gumpoldskirchen, but about 1884 approached a catastrophe unknown hitherto:
vinelouse (phylloxera) devasted gradually all the vineyards, and in 1891 there was no vintage whatever.
It took years and years to produce sufficient wine again by planting new vines that were more resistent.
The end of World War II caused severe damages.
Many houses were destroyed and the equipment in the cellars ruined.
A few years later there was the Heurige again, ("this year`s", the term encompasses both the new wine and the wine garden) and export was given a fresh impetus.
Today Gumpoldskirchen is not only a much frequented winegrowing village, but also a well liked tourist resort with some 38000 overnight stays per annum.